A Fire that Reconciles

Welcome to Reconciling Fire. The name comes from Numbers 31:23, in which the Israelites were taught to purify by going through fire, and Colossians 1:20, in which God plans to reconcile all to Himself. From what I have studied throughout scripture I have come to believe that God's plan for creation is to reconcile all mankind to Himself. I believe that Jesus died as lawful propitiation for our sins in accordance with the law set in place throughout the Old Testament (Rom. 325; 1 John 2:2; 1 John 4:10), that God's mercy endures forever, and for all (1 Chron. 16:34; Rom. 11:33), and finally that God should become all in all (1 Cor. 15:28). I am not a professor, or a doctor, or a famous theologian. But I am a student of the Bible who loves God with all her heart. As I learn and grow, I wish to share my journey with whomever happens along. I do believe in the total reconciliation of all mankind, and I hope that will become clear as I write and grow more.

In His love,
Rebekah

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Sharing Love

Leviticus:17-18:
"Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbour, and not suffer sin upon him.
Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the LORD."


Over and over in the Bible we see a concept of loving each other. A simple concept, but one that is often forgotten. In our world today, we see bullying of all sorts, we see every kind of injustice, sin prevails around every turn. And love, it seems, is forgotten. It starts young, very young, with kindergarteners even, not sharing toys, calling names, etc. All our lives we grow up victims of name calling, teasing, insults, and more. So why, as we get older, do we tend to become a part of it instead of remember how it hurt and rise against it?

Here is an example. Growing up, I loved Hilary Duff. She was amazing! I had her pictures on my wall, listened to her music all the time, and just adored her. I was her biggest fan! I was also very distraught. I had friends and acquaintances who continually bashed her. Said terrible things about her, and intimidated me by telling me how stupid it was to like her. It caused many, many tears. I remember crying to my mom so many nights about how mean everyone was, and it wasn't fair that they should tell me I can't like her. That sadness turned into anger, and I became the fiercest defender of why she was good and how everyone who said she wasn't was dumb for not understanding. This lasted a good two or so years. Now while you may say I should have controlled my anger and not let it get to me, when I was 14 and everyone else was 16, 17, and 18, it seemed logical and right to me to model after their examples by "dissing" on them the way they "dissed" on my favorite Hilary Duff.

All in all, what came out of that is that I have a sympathy for fans of a younger age. These days I will not bash on anyone for who or what they like. We all have different preferences, right?

Now on that note, I think it's important for everyone to reflect on our words and actions daily. Ask yourself, "Is what I'm doing, saying, or posting, going to hurt anyone? Even if I don't think it will, could it? Would there be a reason for it?" If it could hurt, then it should not be spoken. Encouraging words uplift and share love, and never have the possibility to hurt. With the exception of a mentor or guardian giving corrective criticism as allowed, those of us who are out of place to speak ill never should.

Maybe this is a soap box, but all I know is it makes me so terribly sad to see people hurt over unnecessary words. In addition, I have noticed that there are people that believe in a literal, eternal hell, who make jokes about hell or people in it. How dare you. If you honestly believe there are people who will be tortured for eternity, how can you possibly joke about it or find any humor in it whatsoever?

There is a reason we don't make jokes about jews in concentration camps from the holocaust. When a terror is real it is never a joking matter.

Choose your words wisely. Find ways to uplift and encourage one another, and abandon anything that is counter to that. What other purpose have our words?

Proverbs 18:21:
"Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof."


Your words have the power to destroy, or bring to life. Which will you choose?

As always I speak in His love.
Rebekah

No comments:

Post a Comment